Sunday, October 12, 2008

Fanfiction

Dr. Knobel sent me a wonderful article that relates directly to online affinity spaces, fanfiction, and Rebecca Black's article on newlits.org. I incorporated some of the ideas into my wiki and just wanted to share the article with all of you. It's really interesting because it shows you how beneficial participatory cultures can be on the children that we teach. It intrigues me more to try fanfiction writing in my classroom. I'm just not sure if the children I teach (3rd graders) are too young.

Here's the article:

http://www.technologyreview.com/business/13473/page3/


Let me know what you think!

1 comment:

Dana said...

I read this article. It was quite interesting, however, I feel as though you can allow your children to do writing projects/documents on topics that are relevant to them or age appropiate. The truth of the matter is children are always writing notes to each other or talking to each other about any and everything. I feel the parents in the article are too over protective and won't allopw the children to express themselves but on the othe HAND NAVIGATE THEM IN THE POSITIVE DIRECTION! This is why the older kids were excelling in the top 10's b/c of exposure . Maybe they are the TRUE FREEDOM WRITERS! LOL remember the movie.