Sunday, September 28, 2008

Chapter 4 - Lost Frog Flier

I have to briefly discuss the lost pet flier written by Terry, a 16-year-old autistic boy. I am amazed at how something as simple as that can create such a following. I never realized how simple something can be to be turned into a visual meme passed on from person to person. It even has a website! Of course I had to explore the website after reading about this. I can't believe how many people remixed the idea of the flier! The math test was the funniest to me. I can't believe that a lost frog flier can create such a hype! It just goes to show you that anything that you create can develop a following like the lost frog flier. You Tube is another great example of how ordinary people can become famous through collaboration and participation in the digital world. Anything is possible!

1 comment:

Laurence said...

Debby and I took a class last semester with Dr. Wilber. One of our tasks was to figure out the true origins of that flyer. This was a crazy task since you never know what is real and what isn't on the web.
Crazy how "sub cultures" get created and what they are based on!!! Kind of like the bunny with the items on it's head Dr. Knobel mentioned in class!
The Web is a wild and crazy place!